Do you strive to solve Africa’s biggest challenges when it comes to agriculture? Do you constantly seek improvement as an individual leader or within your organization? Do you want an opportunity to transform as a leader?
Achieving food security across Africa depends on leadership at every level, from farmers to entrepreneurs to policy makers. Individuals equipped with the modern tools of leadership can more effectively activate and facilitate staff, partners, and stakeholders to work together.
In partnership with African Management Initiative (AMI), Feed the Future’s Africa Lead program is offering the Executive Leadership Course for Africa’s Food Security. The course is an intensive six-month program that combines high-impact in-person workshops with online learning and on-the-job feedback. The program will focus on a participant-designed leadership learning project to address challenges in food security or help transform an organization.
During the six-month course, leaders in the cohort will:
Receive a full scholarship from Africa Lead for the course valued at $3,125.
Learn about results-oriented leadership models
Interact, and network with top leaders from across the East and Southern Africa region
Get unlimited access to 50+ learning modules (and 3,000+ tools) with certificates
Have access to iCoach, AMI’s online performance management tool
Interact with expert trainers who have facilitated high level management trainings globally
Receive customized content and toolkits that incorporate material relevant to food security leaders
Have data to provide their sponsoring organizations on individual progress and performance
Earn an Executive Leadership in African Food Security Certificate from Feed the Future, USAID, Africa Lead and AMI
Lead by influence rather than authority
Empower your team to achieve greater results and take responsibility
Build a culture of ownership and a passion for achievement
Transform a key part of your business to unlock performance
Coach and enable your team to learn and grow
Leaders can often struggle to effectively empower their people and lead change in their organization. Traditional training courses are heavy on theory, but rarely lead to real change and improved performance.
The Executive Leadership Course for Africa’s Food Security offers a unique blended-learning approach, combining lively interactive in-person workshops with individual online study, practical team-based activities, and the chance to apply what you’re learning in your job.
The program begins by bringing together 24 active executive leaders from across the private and public sectors in East and Southern Africa to learn the latest in leadership and management strategies. To ensure learning continues outside of workshops, participants will participate in monthly webinars, carry out their leadership learning project, and have access to an “online academy” with learning modules, tools, toolkits, case studies and customized material relevant to food security leadership. At the conclusion of the six-month program the cohort comes back together to showcase their work and how they’ve advanced their organization’s goals through their new leadership approach.
Geography: Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of a country located within either the East African Community (EAC) or Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) and the institution which the organization works for must be located in EAC or COMESA countries.
Countries from which participants and supporting institutions are eligible :
- D.R. Congo
- South Sudan
Language: Applicants must have a “Proficient” level (C1) of English language skills.
Employment & leadership position within an organization working in the agriculture and/or food security sector: Eligible organizations include private firms and associations, governments, civil society organizations, learning and research institutions.Applicants’ organizations must be located in the EAC and/or COMESA region or member states. Applicants upon selection to the program will be required to provide a letter of support from their employer verifying their status.
Acceptance of payment terms:
- All selected participants will receive a full-scholarship from Africa Lead for the course valued at $3,125.
- Selected participants (or sponsoring institutions) will be required to pay travel and lodging costs for the Course Kickoff event. Lodging costs will be $500.
- Africa Lead will cover travel and lodging costs for the Course Finale in August 2019. Participants who do not complete the course activities will not attend the Finale.
Full Participation: In order to successfully complete the program and receive the certificate of completion from Africa Lead and the African Management Initiative, the participant will be required to attend both mandatory in-person sessions, as well as participate in 100% of all 12 online learning activities (2 sessions per month for 6 months). Failure to meet this participation requirement will result in the supporting institution being notified. No refund of fees will be possible.
Applications are assessed on the applicants eligibility as outlined above and an applicants relevance to the course objectives and the selection criteria explained below. You must show that:
- YOU are committed to personal and professional growth and learning
- YOU are passionate and committed to creating and leading leadership development for others, both inside and outside of your organizations
- YOU hold a top level management position and you lead the organization in taking decisions on behalf of the organization ((eg, Private Sector: CEO, Vice President; Government: Cabinet Minister, Permanent Secretary, Director; Civil Society: Executive Director, Deputy Director) from strategy to overseeing lines of management)
- YOUR ORGANIZATION participates in and impacts upon the agriculture economy and/or policy framework at the national, regional and/or continental level
- YOUR ABILITY TO CLEARLY EXPRESS your interest in the program and your proposed Leadership Learning Project.
Application & Notification Dates
- Deadline for Applications: December 12, 2018
- December 21, 2018 – Notification of advancement to finalist round
- December 26 – January 11, 2019 – Finalist round interviews
- January 22, 2019 – Notification of acceptance to program
- January 25, 2019 – Confirmation of mandatory payment for Course Kickoff lodging ($500) by selected participants (or sponsoring institutions)
- January 28, 2019 – Waiting list participants notified of available open slots
- Feb. 1, 2019 – Confirmation of lodging payment from any person selected off waiting list
Mandatory Participation Program Dates
- Cohort Orientation Webinar for Participants: February 11, 2019
- Kickoff Event – Nairobi, Kenya: February 18 – 20, 2019
In-person kickoff sessions with entire cohort in Nairobi, Kenya. Facilitated by AMI and Africa Lead, participants will set leadership project goals.
- E-Courses: 2 Monthly Webinars: February – July 2019 (Specific dates to be announced)
Twice a month participate in online learning and work on leadership project goals created at the beginning of the training.
- Course Final Event – Nairobi, Kenya: Aug. 12 – 14, 2019
Conclude your six-month course by presenting your final leadership learning project to your cohort of leaders at a 3-day event in Nairobi, Kenya
- Deadline for Applications: December 12, 2018
- Notification of advancement to finalist round: December 22, 2018
- Finalist round interviews: December 26 – January 11, 2019
- Notification of acceptance to program: January 21, 2019
- Course Kickoff – Nairobi, Kenya: Feb. 18 – 20, 2019
- All selected participants receive scholarship for the course valued at $3,125
- Participants (or sponsoring institutions) will be required to pay travel and lodging costs for the Course Kickoff event. Lodging costs will be $500
- Travel and lodging costs will be provided for the course Finale in August 2019
- Institutions can sponsor two or more participants